Sunday, September 14, 2014

Growing in the Lord

I've been meaning to work on this blog for sometime now.   OK since Spring if you must know.   That's pretty obvious if you look at the photos I have included.  
Every spring I am amazed at how God takes our dark, dry (usually) earth and turns it, in what seems like overnight, a lush carpet of green and other colors.   Every year it fascinates me more and more.   This year it had a little help in that I tried to control some of the green by planting a garden.   I had some help, I don't know that it would have all gotten done if I didn't. But it was tilled and seeded and I waited for the green while my mouth watered thinking of the wonderful flavorful produce it would provide.
I tried to control the weeds, and did a fairly good job at first, and was in awe of the changes I kept seeing every time I went out there.   The most impressive part was just how hard some of the seeds had to work to become the fruitful plants I ended up with.  Some of those poor little plants had to move mountains to get to the point of producing fruit.  
They worked so hard but you know what? The plants that had the hardest time breaking through the ground were the strongest most productive plants out there.  
The ones that just popped up and grew with no mountains in their way were not as strong or productive.  
This reminded me a lot of my life.   I struggled through many phases growing up.   I wasn't the most popular person in the world.   At the time it in really struggled with who I was and who I was meant to be.   Often times I let that get in the way of really enjoying life.   Oh not many people knew of this struggle, I did a good job of keeping the weight of it to myself.  
But now I see that struggle helped shape me into the person I am today.   I'm stronger, wiser and I hope more fruitful because of it.  
Just like the plants struggling to break through the ground I had to have a mountain in my way so that I could come out better on the other side.
Did I do this struggle alone? Sometimes it felt like it.   I know now, more than I did then, that my parents always had my back.   They gave me the proverbial food, water and just enough space for me to learn what I needed each step of the way.   I may have pushed them aside and said I didn't need them. But just like a master gardener they knew when to "leave it alone"  so it could make me stronger.
The other thing I had on my side was a strong faith, a seed planted by those master gardeners too, that everything would be OK and God was there all the time.   I knew that when the burden was getting too heavy I could turn to God and ask for help.   Now my plants in the garden can't ask me for help but I can see and remove things that are in their way.  (weeds,  rocks, and other obstacles.) God will do the same thing, if he sees fit.   I read something just before I wrote this that made that even clearer.  
"the judge ignored her for awhile, but eventually she got in his nerves. "I fear neither God nor man," he said to himself, "but this woman bothers me.   I'm going to see she gets justice, for she is wearing me out with her constant coming!"   Luke 18:4-5  Christ told this story so you would understand the need to pray and never give up.   However, remember a "No" is also an answer to prayer." from God Knows Best About Stress by Fun Nun Sister Mary Christelle Macaluso,  RSM, OFN, PhD
So even when the Master Gardener doesn't remove the big old clump of dirt out of my way He is still answering my prayer.  He has a better plan than I do and I need to trust in it. This is so hard at times, but necessary to become stronger and wiser and more fruitful for His world.
A beautifully weeded garden.  Hard to believe it is mine.
Working hard at growing.


A potato plant moving a mountain.

The potato plant after moving the mountain.








1 comment: