Thursday, October 3, 2013

Interesting Trip

Well after, what we figure to be, nearly 4 years it was time to make a trip to Minnesota for a new brace for Breanna. This has to be our most interesting trip so far.   We went to church at home and after two weeks of not going to church for Breanna she did fairly well.   (the rest of the family went to Mass the two weeks, it just worked better for her to stay home and to divide and conquer those weeks). We stopped and ate dinner in Sioux City.   After a fairly calm meal we hit the interstate.   In the first few miles we saw a lot of pickups pulling flatbed trailers.   Of course the big question was, I wonder if they are going home empty handed from the historical car auction in Pierce,  NE the day before.  Then we saw the one pictured and the captions flew.   I just hope they have the proper paperwork for the heavy haul. I do like the fact that they think they will be able to move snow with such small equipment. 






A few hours later we found ourselves about 30 minutes from the hotel.   Suddenly the interstate turned into a two lane and found ourselves at a complete stop and in a HUGE line of vehicles.   Tom was worried that our favorite heavy hauler had crashed.   Soon a tow truck came by on the shoulder of the road.   Needless to say that sitting still in the van, when not watching a football game, a little lady was VERY antsy.  Since we were sitting still in the van Tom put it in park.  There is a child safety lock for the sliding doors on the van which was locked.  She came up (she won't keep her seat belt on) and kissed mom and dad.  Somewhere during that she turned off the child lock.  She then sat down and pushed the button to open her door.  Remember we are sitting on the interstate.  Dad and I panicked and managed to get the door closed while Reid held her so she would not jump out.  I'm ready for a new vehicle where the child locks are hidden.    Finally we were able to move and never did see what was really happening ahead. What should have to us 30 minutes took nearly 2 hours.  I do think our guardian angels were at work that night.  We had stopped before the delay and got supper.  Tom decided to park the van and eat instead of driving and eating.  I believe that decision helped us to avoid being the cause of the stop on the interstate.  Thank you angels for protecting us.

OK after we finally got to the hotel we are all tired and just want to get to the room and move around and maybe even get to sleep.  I go into the hotel and get the room key/card.  The whole family followed me in since they needed to use the restroom.  We go up to the room and on the one wall is a huge, how can you miss it, black smear of something.  Maybe mud, but Tom was more worried it may be blood.  Anyway, the boys leave to get our things while Breanna and I check out the rest of the room.  While Tom was down at the desk he stopped and told them what we found in the room.  They said it had been Homecoming that weekend and the opposing team's fans (Iowa State I believe they said, not to name names) had not been real nice.  They would move is and put the room on the list to be cleaned/fixed.  We were happy to be moved.  We unloaded and went to bed.  

The next morning I went to unpack my bag, we each pack our own duffle bag and mine is washable so all the dirty clothes go in it coming home.  I opened a drawer and this is what I found.



I immediately broke into laughter and my family thought I had officially lost it.  We all had a good laugh (but it does make me question unpacking my things into hotel drawers again) and left for the day.  I took the photo and then showed it to the gentleman working the front desk.  He laughed with us again.  His comment, " I know this sounds bad, but that's impressive.  I will make sure housekeeping takes care of it."  It was gone by the time we came back, but the photo will forever live on.  I just hope Reid doesn't think he needs to top that on any trips he takes.

One thing we did figure out was, we were somewhere on the Minnesota State campus.  Here's a photo of the stadium from the front of the hotel.



We drove and walked around there and we couldn't tell you where the campus began or ended.  We did notice though that the students we saw were all very nicely dressed.  I did not see any different colored hair or any goth-like dress.  I was very impressed.  

The best part was this hotel was maybe 8 blocks away from the hospital.  Kind of missed the pool, but it was good to be together as a family.  We were there for two more days, but I will save that for later, not as exciting though sorry,

1 comment:

  1. ha! Ok, I have to clarify that, yes, it was Iowa vs. Minnesota last weekend. And, to be fair, it probably was Iowa fans, not Iowa State fans. Go Hawks!

    ReplyDelete